Categories:

The Importance and Meaning of JSU

The Importance and Meaning of JSU

If you’ve ever heard of the “Jewish Geography” game, you’ll know that the Jewish Community is an extremely tight-knit one. While it isn’t exactly true that all Jewish people know each other, it is true that Jewish people are brought together by a  unique set of struggles. Antisemitism is an extremely individual issue and can manifest itself in different ways and forms. From hearing comments about my nose, getting asked if I could pay for someone else’s lunch with my “Jew money,” or being assigned work on Jewish Holidays, I have experienced many microaggressions at Agnes Irwin. When I heard about the Jewish Student Union in 9th grade, I knew I had to join it as soon as possible. I joined during my freshman year and quickly learned that many other Jewish students at AIS had gone through similar struggles. While it wasn’t a good thing to know that these were universal struggles, I was comforted by the fact that I was not alone in experiencing them. 

Because of JSU, I have learned so much about my own culture and how to face these issues I deal with on a regular basis. I now have a special community of people that I know will be there for me and will understand things that my non-Jewish peers may not. I am able to go to JSU meetings and know that there will be a space where I can share my negative experiences and be met with kindness and support as I confront my problems. JSU is also a place where students can celebrate their culture, or learn about a new one. We celebrate many Jewish holidays together and work on educating the community on what it means to be Jewish. I am grateful for the support that JSU has given me, and I have learned so much from the amazing members. I will continue to learn lessons from JSU and take them with me throughout my life, and I appreciate that opportunity immensely.