Categories:

The Harm of Anti-LGBT Legislation in 2022 (Compass Article)

2021 was a record year for the number of anti-LGBT bills introduced to state legislature, and 2022 might continue that trend. 

According to Lavietes, in just the first week of 2022, seven various anti-trans bills were introduced to state legislature. Additionally, a South Dakota anti-trans bill was recently signed into law on February 3rd. It bans trans women and girls from competing in women’s sports in public schools, colleges, and universities (Alfonseca). It was signed just two weeks after being introduced, which is remarkably quick for legislation. A PBS Newshour/NPR/Marist poll from 2021 shows that about two-thirds of respondents disagree with laws that ban trans people from joining a team that matches their identity, but if just one group can create an anti-LGBTQ+ law so quickly, it’s a very concerning precedent. 

One bill that has been in the news recently is the Florida bill that LGBTQ+ activists have dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. It says school districts “may not encourage classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary grade levels or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students” (Harding and Borrero). It isn’t clear which grades this bill would affect, but if passed, it would ban LGBTQ+ topics from public school curriculums, for example in sex ed or history classes. As of this writing, the bill is still in the judiciary committee.

I believe that it’s necessary for schools to teach LGBTQ+ history. These topics expand students’ worldviews as well as provide visibility for those who share an LGBTQ+ identity. It allows students to see themselves represented, and, as Julie Wilensky at the National Center for Lesbian Rights said, not teaching LGBTQ+ history would suggest “there’s something so shameful or dangerous about LGBTQ people that they can’t be discussed at school” (The Associated Press). Additionally, learning about the experiences of a diverse set of people helps students see and understand other perspectives. 

Knowledge of history, or lack thereof, can even influence someone’s actions. An example of this is in an Alabama bill that’s currently in committee.  The bill would prohibit “medical procedures for minors intended to alter appearance of gender” (Shelnutt and Allen). The logic provided in the bill is that treatments such as hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery have not been studied enough and their dangers are yet not known. In truth, these treatments have existed for decades. In 1952, trans woman Christine Jorgensen became the first person to become widely known for receiving sex reassignment surgery. She lived until 1989 and used her platform to advocate for transgender rights (“From GI Joe to GI Jane”). Before her surgery, she also received hormone therapy. These treatments are not new and unproven. The only problem is that people don’t know the history of such treatments.

Although some people believe that equal rights were achieved after marriage equality, discriminatory actions are still being taken. True equality has not been achieved yet, but there are people and groups out there working to end discrimination, and that is the most important thing. At Agnes Irwin, Compass works to support members of the LGBTQ+ community, and share information about it with other students.

Sources

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/christine-jorgensen