Categories:

February Student of the Month: Natalie Hofer ’23

February Student of the Month: Natalie Hofer '23

A passionate student, athlete, and community member, Natalie Hofer ‘23 exemplifies dedication and versatility. In addition to leading Medical Club and organizing fundraising projects for Akilah Club, Natalie serves as an AIS tour guide and belongs to AIS’s Black Student Union, Hispanic Student Alliance, Asian Student Alliance, Honor Council, stage crew, and swim team. Her primary extracurricular activity is swimming, which she has been involved in since she was three.

Natalie swims for AIS’ swim team as well as the Westtown Aquatics Club and a summer league, and her contributions to these teams have won her much recognition. This year, Natalie was recognized for setting the 50-meter freestyle and 100-meter breaststroke school records during a recent meet; when she learned of her achievement, she was “proud and really excited.” Natalie says she enjoys swimming because it is an individual sport that also emphasizes teamwork and fosters a supportive environment. 

According to Natalie, Agnes Irwin’s athletics department has enriched her swimming experience. The department provides athletes with an excellent support system and offers “great athletic facilities,” namely the gym, the squash courts, and the fitness room. These facilities are “good resources when athletes have to miss practice for a club team.” Athletes in different sports attend each other’s competitions, which Natalie says demonstrates the remarkable camaraderie among AIS athletes. Natalie also acknowledged the ways in which coaches and trainers have supported her athletic career. Coach Lubbe advised and encouraged her during the early stages of her college application process, and Coach Sherbondy helped Natalie prioritize her physical and mental wellbeing as Natalie’s Wellness teacher.  

Natalie is interested in science, math, and engineering, and she is considering several STEM-related careers, including dental hygienics. Currently, Natalie is studying dentistry by shadowing a local dentist, Dr. Panarello, on the weekends. She finds this work fulfilling and interesting, and she believes the experience she’s gained will serve her in college, where she will likely pursue a degree in dentistry. In college, Natalie also plans to swim competitively and explore her passion for science and engineering. 

Natalie has been at Agnes Irwin since first grade, making this year her eleventh year as an Owl. She enjoys the events Agnes Irwin holds annually to promote friendly competition among Upper School students, and her favorite AIS traditions are Mayfair and AIS-EA Day. Even though she doesn’t compete on AIS-EA Day, she enjoys cheering for the competing teams and expressing her school spirit. According to Natalie, the importance of sports at Agnes Irwin is evident in our many athletic events, which often involve the entire school regardless of participants’ athletic involvement. 

When asked why she thought she was chosen Student of the Month, Natalie said her athletic contributions and extensive extracurricular involvement make her an interesting and influential person at Agnes Irwin. The Wick agrees! Natalie would like to shout out her Agnes Irwin teammates, for whom she has much love and gratitude. Congratulations and best of luck in your future endeavors, Natalie!