Categories:

How to Keep the Ball Rolling

Orange and red balloon arches, ribbons lining the railings, dim lighting, and DJ Ricochet’s flashing lights and loud music: this was Fall Ball. This October, students filed into the SLC for a scheduled two-hour-long dance, from 7:00 to 9:00, known as Fall Ball. As the clock hit exactly 7:00, excited students and their dates filled the hallway, waiting to enter the dance. With passing time, more students began to enter the SLC.

Mingling and taking advantage of the Dippin’ Dots provided by the Student Government, the room was filled with students and dates, dressed up in their nicest apparel. Dippin’ Dots became a crowd favorite with the various flavors open for all to enjoy. The Hoot made this event an opportunity to interview students as they entered the inviting room, where Fall Ball was held. 

Eventually, it was time for the heavily anticipated dance battle. Oblivious dates made a circle to watch as two boys from each grade competed to become Fall King; audience response determined the winner. This being the highlight of Fall Ball, students attempted to get the best view of the battle. When the battle finished, they announced a winner, but people were uncertain as to who had been declared Fall Ball King. Asking around the student body, names like Brick, Grant, Griff, and Eddie surfaced, but because of the loudspeakers and overly excited students, few were sure of the actual winner. 

Eventually, 8:00 arrived, and the doors to the building opened, allowing students to leave the dance. Students left with a good opinion of the dance, and they were happy that they were able to spend time with their friends and dates at such a joyful event. When the night ended, teachers said goodbye to the few who were left and cleared the barricades.  

After every event, questions arise as to how to make it better the next time. As the dance neared its halfway mark, students filed out, and despite the dance’s large turnout, less than ten people stayed until the end. Many stayed for only forty-five minutes or less, even with the constant attempts of entertainment from both the DJ and Prom Committee. Would getting more people dancing encourage them to stay longer? If so, how could that happen?  Given the enthusiasm and enjoyment witnessed that evening, Fall Ball is worth saving.