Categories:

To Ring, or Not to Ring – That is the Question

As a result of the alignment of Middle and Upper School schedules, Agnes Irwin has reincorporated bells into the academic day which ring at the beginning and end of every class period.

School bells have existed for centuries, dating back to monastic schools during the medieval period. Manually operated handbells signaled the start and end of religious ceremonies and later evolved to signal academic lessons. With the rise of the Industrial Revolution and the establishment of public school systems, automated bells became an organizational tool to mark class changes and breaks. In the 20th century, electrical bells replaced mechanical versions. School bells have been shaped by advancements in technology and remain in most school environments today.

So, what do AIS students and teachers think of these bells? Are the bells a positive enhancement, or do they carry a negative connotation? Let’s find out!

Many students appreciate how the bells help them stay on schedule.  Lucy Pierce, ‘26, likes how “the bells prompt people to be on time.” Zandi Gardiner, ‘26, echoes her beliefs: “They ensure both teachers and students do not go over the allotted class times.”

Ms. DeNight, a US Theatre teacher, compares her experience with the bells at AIS to that with the bells at her previous school. She explains, “I do not mind them because they are quiet and calm as opposed to the loud, obnoxious bells that I’m used to.” Zandi even enjoys their sound, explaining, “[they] are not super loud; they are actually a nice, cute little melody!”
In contrast, some students and teachers dislike the bells, claiming they can be disruptive to the learning environment: a teacher could be in the middle of a lesson or a student could be mid-thought on a topic when the sound of the bells curtails the instruction or the meaningful reflection. Additionally, the sound of bells can be jarring and overstimulating, adding to other stress-inducing factors already present in the school environment. Chloe Spears, ‘26, reiterates this sentiment; when she is finishing up a test or a worksheet, the loud sound of the bell blaring through the classroom increases her stress level.

Dr. Root, a US English teacher, understands the importance of the bells but prefers not having them for a different reason. He expresses, “I kind of miss the old system because it put everybody in charge of their own schedules.” Dr. Root believes that rather than relying on bells, students should be given the opportunity to take responsibility and manage their time. He thinks this is valuable preparation for the real world and for students’ futures.

Horace Mann, a 19th-century education reformer, explained, “Where the expense can be afforded, every schoolhouse should be provided with a bell. If not the only mode, it is probably the best one for ensuring punctuality; and the importance of punctuality can hardly be overstated.” Fast forward to our time at AIS, the bells allow both teachers and students to keep track of their schedules so that the school day can run smoothly, and its chime is more appealing to the ears than the harsh sound of a traditional bell. For now, we can appreciate the structure the bells provide, but we will see what the future holds as technology and ideologies are constantly evolving.