Categories:

Piano Lab

Piano Lab

Learning to play music stimulates the creative elements of the brain and develops memory, speech, and motor skills in students (learningpotential.gov.au). Mr. Savar, the lower school music director at Agnes Irwin, believes that music is a crucial part of learning and acts as a source of joy for students. He was inspired to create the piano lab over ten years ago after he visited the music facilities at the Haverford School. A few years later, the music department received funding from the parents of Naya Summy, a member of the class of 2021. Naya, who loved music, tragically passed away in the 6th grade. Her family donated to the piano lab to memorialize her and spark her passion for music in future students. Naya’s family also contributed to a composition room and a recording studio, which are attached to the piano lab.

The Piano Lab was built in 2020 and the accompanying course began last school year. Students taking the class come from a variety of experience levels, ranging from first-year students to advanced. Currently, all levels of players are mixed in one class, but Mr. Savar hopes to expand to a beginner course that takes place every year and a more advanced elective based on student interest.  

Mr. Savar and his students believe that his class has a purpose greater than simply teaching piano. Many of his tenth-grade students from 2020 said that piano lab was their favorite course because it was a “safe, fun environment” that provided a break from traditional academics. Teaching piano lab has been a beneficial experience for Mr. Savar, as well. He loves teaching music, but “would rather teach a group of students than have private lessons.” In the piano room, he can broadcast music from his piano to another keyboard or every keyboard at once, which makes for a personalized learning experience. This feature also enables the students to perform a variety of pieces. Students can play duets, solos, group songs, or the entire class can play at once. Headphones are compatible with the keyboards as well so that students can have privacy when they need it.  

When teaching his class, Mr. Savar “doesn’t focus on the nuts and bolts of playing perfect notes.” He wants to put more emphasis on musicality and preparing his students for performance, when making small mistakes is very likely. He plans for the class to perform before assembly sometime this year and would love to make videos of his students playing holiday music to share with the school.  

Mr. Savar sees many benefits to music electives and hopes piano lab becomes one of the most popular courses at Agnes Irwin. He sees the class as a break from stressors such as grades and athletics and an opportunity for students to have a creative outlet.  He believes that “arts are the mortar of our lives,” and by studying music in school, students will learn the respect and discipline that comes with playing a musical instrument and develop a skill that will remain with them even after they grow old.