Meet Ms. DeNight!

Meet Ms. DeNight!

The Wick’s October Teacher of the Month is Ms. DeNight, one of the newest members of Agnes Irwin’s Visual and Performing Arts department. Ms. DeNight appreciates how Agnes Irwin integrates its expansive arts programs into its students’ curricula and she admires the school’s attitudes towards the arts. 

Ms. DeNight grew up in the Delaware Country area. She avoided a traditional 9-5 job for some time, as she was performing and working professionally on- and off-stage. After touring abroad, Ms. DeNight returned to Philadelphia in 2017. She noticed how she would constantly return to working in educational theater, and decided to permanently move into education. She earned a teaching certification, and had already received a Master’s Degree in English. Ms. DeNight sought a position in which she could both direct shows and teach students, as she felt most fulfilled when inspiring younger generations to pursue acting. Before coming to Agnes Irwin, Ms. DeNight taught English at Haverford High School and managed its Drama Club.

Ms. DeNight worked with the Theater for Young Audiences, a company which aims to make theater more inclusive by giving children of all socioeconomic statuses across the globe opportunities to participate in theater. She loved working with this group, for it allowed her to be paid to see the country, while simultaneously doing something she was passionate about. 

Outside of the theater, Ms. DeNight has a love for English. Ms. DeNight works in the Sharon Rudnicki Writing Center, and she loves to read. She recently set a goal to read 20 books before the end of the year, but may have to increase this number, as she has already finished 17 out of 20 books at the start of October. For anyone who is looking to indulge in a seasonal read, Ms. DeNight recommends Ray Bradbury’s Something Wicked this Way Comes

Ms. DeNight is currently directing this year’s production of Legally Blonde. The theater department chose this show because it tells an empowering story and aligns with Agnes Irwin’s value of “female centric[ism]. ” Ms. DeNight is looking forward to seeing everyone become more involved in the Arts at AIS. She is also excited for everyone to attend Legally Blonde!

Ms. DeNight’s favorites:

• Favorite show to perform in? 

Titanic the Musical (a production she participated in while still in college)

• Favorite show to direct?

Spongebob (Ms. DeNight directed the production at Upper Darby High School’s Summer Stage this past summer)

• Favorite show to watch?

The Music Man